Sunday, November 16, 2014

A500.4.3.RB_WhiteTyronn

Are the Ballet Slippers Adorable


     The video of Dr. Sheena Iyengar was very informative on our differences of culture and how that relates to our lives and how we interaction with one another.  Because of my involvement in sports, I have had an opportunity to travel to parts of the world and experience firsthand some of the cultural differences we have with other parts of the world.  I remember while traveling around the world, making different stops to play with different interaction teams, I noticed that there were few to no choices for each culture I experienced.  Financially, there were not poor, middle class, and wealthy.  There were those that had money and those that did not.  In terms of buying goods for one self, there were very little choices to choose from, very little variations in companies that were different but sold the same goods.  For example if I wanted lotion, there would only be one type of lotion.  There was no lotion for sensitive skin, dry skin, and oily skin.  There was just lotion. 

     Being 21-22 years of age and having the opportunity to experience these differences, I noticed right away all of the luxuries that we have in the United States were luxuries that I have taken for granted for a long as I can remember.  Simple choosing shampoo in the store, there are rows and rows and rows of shampoo, all different shapes and colored bottle as well as the actual shampoo itself.  While in other parts of the world, there are only one or a few types of shampoo to choose from.

     This made me realize that the opportunities we have I the United States, the options and choices that are afforded to us have a major impact on our culture.  The culture in the United States is and has always been about choice.  Were as in other countries and cultures, the choices can be dictated or limited.

     I recall going on a cruise with my family and on the first night at dinner, we had options for dessert.  There were only two options but they were options.  One option was a chocolate dessert in which I had never tried but wanted to try it.  I was in an experimental spirit given that I was on a cruise.  I did not like the chocolate dish and changed it for the fruit plate.  The waitress thought that I did not like chocolate as a whole, but I tried to explain to her that I did like chocolate, just not the way my chocolate dish was prepared.  For the rest of my cruise, the waitress asked me every day “why did I not like chocolate.  My family and I got some laughs out of it but it made me realize how profound the smallest things can be a big deal in different cultures were choices may not be as profound. 

     I agree with Dr. Sheena Iyengar in that we all have a responsibility to open ourselves up to an array of opportunities that choices give us.  I mentioned in a previous lesson that good leaders will allow people in their organization to have choices which will foster creativity and success.


Tyronn White

No comments:

Post a Comment